Thursday, January 8, 2015

The Journey and the Destination

I’m not perfect
I was recently working on a bio related to developing presentation opportunities. Along with mentioning some of my many accomplishments, this bio revealed that I had gotten burnt out related to my work with my non-profit organization, Forward Step. A friend read the bio and expressed his concern. He thought that speaking of my experience of burn out lessened my authority as a life coach. I was astonished at his perspective. I told him that my authority to be a life coach didn’t come from being perfect. I don’t claim to be perfect or infallible. My authority comes from embracing my humanness plus my success gained in practicing what I teach.

Practicing what I teach
My emphasis in coaching is that I teach and use practical methods that can empower people to gain greater consciousness and abilities so that they can move ahead more effectively toward their goals. I know these methods work because I use them myself and they have helped me. For instance, I find value in the practice of Kaizen, constant incremental improvement. I exalt in my experience of continual improvement. As a result of practicing what I teach, my life is incredibly rich and wonderful. I am increasingly happier as I progress on my journey along this path that I espouse of healing, learning and growing.

Enjoy both
There are many who say that it is important to focus on the journey, not the destination. I say focus on and enjoy both! I love my journey of healing, learning and growing, my progression toward any goal that I may have. And I love arriving at my destination such as achieving a goal. I continually celebrate my arrival at any destination. For me, this happens frequently, sometimes on a moment-to-moment or at least on a daily basis. (FYI: This is easy to do when the journey is the destination.) So, maybe I am perfect. In this moment of arrival.

Have a wonderful journey! And enjoy arriving at your destination! Happy trails, Bibi

© Bibi Caspari 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment